Eat the fish - Spit out the bones.

« Home | a related quote » | The Shaft for Seattle and other notes » | The Irishman, quarterback, and me » | A Double Standard? » | Super Bowl Humor » | Unaware Americans » | Up For Debate » | Props » | Super Bowl Bandwagon » | No SOUPer Bowl For You! » 

Thursday, February 09, 2006 

A Lesson in Chili Preference


I was rummaging through my parents fridge the other day with my little brother, Solomon. He was enthusiastically chattering like all 2 year olds do. We found a little of mom's white chili left in a bowl. Dibs. As I threw it into the microwave, I told my brother that white chili is the best chili in the world, and that it was better than all the rest. A beautiful assortment of white beans, chicken, herbs, and spices, white chili kicks the crap out of dark chili. It then dawned on me what I had just said to my brother. So, I quickly changed my tune. "You know, buddy, all chilis are equal in taste and experience. White chili is not better than dark chili...I like them the same." Upon further thought, I saw an opportunity to build the young man's confidence. "Come to think of it, Solomon, I think chili is ten times better when you mix white and dark chili together. It is much more exciting when you mix the two." What a teachable moment. The boy responded to my lesson with a hearty, "yaaa" (he tends to pronounce his "yes" like he's swedish). Who would have thought that I could teach my biracial brother a lesson in diversity with a simple bowl of chili?


post scrip: He understood nothing I said...and I am ridiculous.

Dunno if you confused Solomon, but you've sure confused me. :^)

make sure you save some of those important life lessons for your kid too.

i wish my kid liked dark chili

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates