Eat the fish - Spit out the bones.

« Home | At age 20, Jim Elliot wrote: » | In response to my previous post, Dave Blake has of... » | The Abandonment of Something » | A Blue Christmas » | Darlene's Perm » | The Soup of Campbell » | Straddling the Tookie Fence » | Bush 2005 » | A Lifechange @ 10:30 » | MELANIE IS PREGNANT » 

Sunday, January 15, 2006 

The T.P.


This book, being the first I have read in 2006, trumps the many that I read in the previous year. In fact, I believe that The Treasure Principle might have jumped onto my all-time list. I challenge all of you to take about 2 hours out of your life and knock out this simple, yet powerful, mini-treatise on our responsibility as believers to give to the Kingdom of God. If it were my call...I would force every believer to read it. This book has opened a new world for me; a world where followers of Christ invest exclusively into the things that will reap a return in Glory...and not in our present habitat. The book cost ten bones at Family and Lifeway...well worth it's message. Giving has been one of the many sour spots in my walk with the Creator. But using Alcorn, God has clearly exposed my inadiquate heart and fueled an incredible desire to properly manage what God has entrusted to me. Give it a chance...Randy Alcorn (ultimately Jehovah) will blast a hole in your perception of giving. A hole that most desperately need. I sure did.

...a brief look at the...
Treasure Principle
You can't take it with you - but you can send it on ahead.
Treasure Principle Keys
1. GOD OWNS EVERYTHING. I'M HIS MONEY MANAGER.
We are the managers of the assets God has entrusted - not given - to us.
2. MY HEART ALWAYS GOES WHERE I PUT GOD'S MONEY.
Watch what happens when you reallocate your money from temporal things to eternal things.
3. HEAVEN, NOT EARTH, IS MY HOME.
We are citizens of "a better country - a heavenly one."
(Hebrews 11:16)
4. I SHOULD LIVE NOT FOR THE DOT BUT FOR THE LINE.
From the dot - our present life on earth - extends a line that goes on forever, which is eternity in heaven.
5. GIVING IS THE ONLY ANTIDOTE TO MATERIALISM.
Giving is a joyful surrender to a greater person and a greater agenda. It dethrones me and exalts Him.
6. GOD PROSPERS ME NOT TO RAISE MY STANDARD OF LIVING, BUT TO RAISE MY STANDARD OF GIVING.
God gives us more money than we need so we can give - generously.

I really liked the Treasure Priniciple. The extended version of the book is called "Money, Possessions, and Eternity," which is on my all-time list.

If you want to hear Alcorn speak on this topic, I think Troy still has my copy of the 2004 Bethlehem Pastors Conference ("Money, Ministry, and the Magnificence of Christ") on CD. As I recall, there are about 4 messages by Alcorn. There are additional single messages by Dwight Perry (an inner-city pastor in Chicago), George Verwer (former head of Operation Mobilisation in the UK), and John Piper (more of a lecture on George Mueller than a sermon).

All the messages are excellent.

I'll try to get that...i'll take good care of it. Thanks for the info, bro.

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates